Thursday, December 3, 2009

#12

Teaching the sixth graders was so fun and taught me a ton. I definitely learned that sixth graders are not as young as I thought they were. They were a sharp group of students who kept us on our toes. I think, overall, things went very well. Despite our issues planning with our group, we came together when it came time to do the actual teaching. We supported each other well and taught our very best. We were able to answer the questions that the sixth graders shot at us, which felt good. They were interested in what we were doing, so they participated very well. Them taking notes didn't really happen, so in the future, I think I would need to have either a format that they can follow to help them, or give them more incentive to take notes. We told them to pay attention so they might be able to "do something cool" at the end of class, but that did not really help them know that they wouldn't get to launch as much without knowing the answers. I learned that when it comes time to launch the trebuchets, we need better defined rules of our game so there would be less yells of "CHEATER!!! SHE'S CHEATING!!!" We started to lose control of the class as they launched. I need to figure out how to let the students have fun but still be able tot have control of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment